Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Little pants


Thank you for the welcoming wishes, it does feel good to be here again.
As you know, I live in a remote place, and I don’t get to talk about my creative life much outside this blog. This blog truly is the place where I share my thoughts of creating and creations. When I make something out of nothing, I mean, when I come up with something out of my own heart and head, it has much invested in it, or at least it feels like it. I don’t mean that it is artistic or grant, that is not what I mean, but that it has my voice, in good and in bad.
If something I made is not good, I am back into my very humble place, and if I have managed to come up with something that is not bad (see how hard it is for me to write good…my inner critic is still going strong!), for a bit I get a little bit of shine and glory. When I put my work out into the Internet, in a way it feels like it is a straight way into my mind and at times it feels a bit scary. When I show something, like these kittens, here in the blog, I am never sure how it is received, I can never be sure how it looks when someone else is looking at it, if he/she sees what I see. After I have uploaded the images, I realize that after all, I should not have done it.
Or it can be just these words… Am I making any sense at all? I have been my worst critic over the years, but the older I get the less I seem to listen to this critic of mine (I hear her but I ignore her more), and I am not always sure if it is a good thing or not… (Please tell me to shut up, when I have totally lost my self-control and start to share something that I should not… although at that time, I hope I cannot find the password to my computer any more…)
But truth to be told, it is very freeing to realize that nobody needs to be perfect, it is okay to make mistakes (and I mean this), and really it is like those kittens of mine… they are not perfect, their noses are crooked, their whiskers are not all straight, their bodies of big stitches are wonky here and there and the fact that they prefer to go through this life with eyes closed, that is just fine.
They have eyes closed… what does it mean? Don’t they want to see what is outside? Do they want to ignore everyone else? Are they so self-centered that their own world is just enough for them? Are they scared? Or… maybe they have their eyes closed, because then maybe they can hear more, even the tiniest of whispers and footsteps. If you listen to the music, have you tried closing your eyes... How much more of the world one feels/hears/smells when eyes are closed… (Or maybe the kittens have their eyes closed because I don’t know how to make them if they are open. See, I can be quite poetic, but the inner critic always hits the nail.)
When my small cat boy Väinö curls next to me in the morning and his little but strong motor goes on under his skin and the purring begins, he has his eyes closed always. One could say that he is enjoying the moment at its fullest in a catlike selfish manner, or that he is still tired, and there is nothing wrong about that, but I prefer to think that we find this morning moment full of trust and we have a strong and sound understanding of each other.
Thank you for being out there, without you and your encouraging words I would not come back. It is you who make this place such a good and safe place to be.
I have started to write a pattern for the kittens. But it will be a long process as you can guess, the making of one takes lots of time and there are many steps to go through before the kitten gets her/his bow and is born. Eventually the pattern will be done. Thank you for proposing to buy my kittens. I had not thought about it, but it is something to think about.

After a very rainy night, the sky has closed its drains for now, it is supposed to be sunny in the afternoon. This might turn into one glorious fall day.

Wool with you,
Lene

PS. I have been knitting little pants, I have tried to figure out the best way to make them and adjusting few sticthes here and there, but I think they are just about right now. Anyway, the little dresser is almost full now. I need to get a new dresser.
Other than knitting little pants, I have been trying to teach myself big stitch hand quilting. I have discovered that it is very much like knitting, one stitch at a time. I could not yet say that it is relaxing, because it is not, every now and then I get a very big stitch, and that is not the aim. They should all be even and nice. (Goes without saying that I took a picture of the best place, I am not showing the very wonky stitches here.)

25 comments:

  1. Darling Lene, I am so happy that you are "out there," sharing your thoughts and creative process. I have learned a lot from you and have been better able to look inward to my own creative process. The differences and small imperfections of your kittens is what makes them individuals and I love seeing your creativity transformed into these joyful little beings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I don't really comment, but I love your blog and the things you create. The wee pants areally adorable. I love those kittens you make. There is just sonething about them...

    I live in the north too, though not as far north as you, and I wish it were even farther north for me. There is something about the winter stillness that just resonates on the soul.It''s gotten unusually cool here already, and I am wondering if winter will be early...

    Oh, and quilting by hand...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually comment but I love your blog, your words and your view of the world. All of us creators face the 'is it good enough?' and 'is this good or do I think it's good bc I made it?' thoughts in our heads. I think it's the mark of a creative mjnd- our hands MUST take the images from our imagination and see if they take shape. We are like adventurers, instead of travel or journeys- our adventures happen in our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your posts. The kittens are dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your posts and your blog and think you really express things in a way that I "get."

    I always assumed the kittens had closed eyes because they were happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you blog, I love getting to see the world through your eyes...and the things you make I find really inspiring. If the things you make were too perfect they'd inspire me less because I'd feel like they weren't things I could ever hope to make. The kittens are super cute, I'm glad there will be a pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, as you learn to ignore that inner critic.......

    I think the kittens (live, and cloth) are meditating. That's why their eyes are closed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not usually one to comment on a blog. However, I have been reading yours for a while now, Lene, and I have to say that I love your willingness to put yourself out into the world. I absolutely all of your creations, and am looking forward to making at least one of your kittens if you manage to get the pattern written ... and if you don't, then that's fine too. This is your blog and your platform for expressing anything that you want. Hugs to you. Also, I agree the kittens are probably meditating. Either that, or they just close their eyes every time you look at them or try to take their picture. Kittens can be sneaky ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lenora17:39

    Lene, I adore all of your creations and look forward to your blog postings. The kittens (and their wee pants) are adorable and I think they are all perfect just the way they are. Each one is a unique personality and reflects the time and care you put into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just like people, each of your kittens is unique and an individual. We are all wonky in some way - lol. Those wee pants are just so cute. I had assumed the kittens eyes were closed because they were new-born. But meditating is a good option too. Tyg, my cat, was purring so loudly all night that I had difficulty sleeping! But it was a good difficulty. The motor sound is very soothing.

    Your hand quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth in Maryland23:12

    Lene, I smiled ear-to-ear when your page came up with "little pants." And then the tiny chest of drawers (making me realize for the first time that we call it "chest of drawers" because it was made for keeping little pants!). Everything you do is completely delightful. For the record, I think your cats have closed eyes simply because they are blissfully happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous00:29

    Hello, Lene. I have enjoyed reading about your creative endeavors. The kittens are so dear and wonderful just as they are, and I also would like to make one (or more).


    ReplyDelete
  13. These little pants are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your creations with us through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always thought your kittens are purring with contentment; you know a cat's eyes always seem to close when they are so blissfully comfortable and relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. bless you and thank you for consistently bringing poetry and sunshine into my very average workaday life. I look forward to your blog and your creativity in so many areas! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU -- and closed kitten eyes equal pure bliss! And I would LOVE your kitten pattern when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To me, closed eyes and a smile say "bliss" – I close my eyes when I kiss my husband! Your kitties are blissfully happy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous17:16

    When you are smiling that much I think you have to close your eyes. They are obviously enjoying something secret which only they know. Kind of like "CATS" the musical. Love your creations. They come from some mystical happy place and make our world a better one. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coming out of years of lurking on your blog to tell you how much I enjoy your blog and your creations!! The pants are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear kittens and darling wardrobe! You are a wise woman. Like you, I hear my inner critic but I ignore her--at least I try to. Your world is so filled with peace.
    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous04:34

    I have been reading your blog and when I read this entry I knew I had to reply. I have an inner critic that I try to ignore too! Your kittens are so adorable and I want you to know you are very talented. Whoosh your inner critic away. And keep on doing what you are doing!!!! I am Marion from London, Ontario Canada and I love reading about your area in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  21. because of your darling kitties i have been seriously considering making something similar- a lovely animal doll to dress and make a wardrobe for, knitting and sewing and whatnot. i find them immensely entertaining and i LOVE LOVE seeing them come alive with all the work and spark you put into them. it's also great to see what you've changed and your learning process because it helps remind me there is a process to everything. this is a very good thing to remember. talent does not happen in a vacuum. thank you for the inspiration!
    one of the joys of getting older is getting better at ignoring those nasty voices. i've never had much use for them, but as i grow up i do a better job at turning a deaf ear towards them. i probably won't get to making a lovely animal for a year or so as i complete some classes i am taking, which i am taking in large part because i am ignoring those voices. :)
    take good care and keep doing all the lovely things you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your kitties! To me, their eyes look not so much closed, as squinched up in happiness - very content, and probably purring quite loudly (and either inconveniently on a lap, or at 3am, as is the way with cats)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is lovely to read your blog, I too have been away from mine for so long, I love reading about your knitting and your life, it seems so magical to me. It might not seem that way to you living in a remote area. Your kittens are so cute, they are lovely to look at. I love your little pants you have knit for them, the blue patch ones are adorable. Your fall comes very early there, I guess you seasons aren't always at the same time. Here in Australia we expect the weather to be warm now it is spring (1st September), it takes a while for the weather to get its act together and be consistent warmer weather heading up to Summer on 1st December. We had a very mild warm winter this year, I love it when it is colder, but this winter has gone now until next June.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The biggest problem that I see with people is the unwillingness to be a beginner. I have a friend that wanted to learn how to do a felted scarf. She bought the fiber and scarf blank. When she tried to do it, it wasn't perfect. She never tried felting again. How can you possibly learn to do something if you are unwilling to make mistakes when you are learning?

    As someone with many cats (just five now), I can tell you that your kitties are very happy and contented. That's why their eyes are closed. They are ready for a nice nap after a few pets. I would love to buy a pattern for them, if you do write one up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you are back! I love every post...

    ReplyDelete